Producing Energy Since 1893
The utility systems at Texas A&M University have operated continuously longer than any other in the region, with on-site power generation since 1893 to meet university requirements. The first TAMU power plant was designed by Professor F.E. Giesecke and completed for less than $10,000. The original Central Utility Plant boiler facility was placed into service in 1912 and corresponding Satellite Utility Plants were placed into service in 1975, 1981 and 1987 respectively, yielding an average facility life of 50 years.
The latest addition to the utility infrastructure was a Combined Heat and Power (CHP) plant which became fully operational in August 2011, and allows on-site power generation to serve nearly 70 percent of the campus electrical load. A combined heat and power (CHP) plant is operated at the CUP which was upgraded in 2011 to provide the capacity to self‐generate up to 50 megawatts (MW) of electrical power, with a campus peak load of 70 MW. On-site power generation serves almost 70 percent of the campus electrical load with the balance of electrical requirements supplied from the 138 kV Volt incoming redundant power transmission feeds to campus. Today, the utility infrastructure alone at TAMU has an estimated replacement value of $1.25 billion.
Historical Pictures courtesy of Texas A&M's Cushing Memorial Library